Tuesday, March 19

Juwan Morgan closes out summer league with strong performances

spiubbfeature42119-2.jpg

After going undrafted in the 2019 NBA Draft, former IU forward Juwan Morgan signed a summer league deal with the Utah Jazz.

The Jazz's summer league season came to an end over the weekend with a loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves, but it was Morgan's best performance of the summer.

He posted his most productive stat line with eight points, nine rebounds, two assists, two steals and two blocks in 20 minutes played.

Over the summer, Morgan appeared in six of the seven games. He averaged 4.7 points and rebounds per game, shooting 42% from the field.

He scored at least one point in five of the six games he played. He didn't score in his first game against the Cleveland Cavaliers but grabbed five rebounds.

His point total increased in each game he played, and in his final three games, Morgan scored seven or more points and snatched six or more rebounds.

Morgan's per-40 stats, which are calculated by taking the player's total in any category divided by total minutes played, were 11 points, 11 rebounds, 2.4 assists, two blocks and 1.6 steals.

That stat line is one Hoosier fans are used to seeing as Morgan averaged 16 points and eight rebounds in his final two seasons at IU.

Now that the summer league is over, Morgan's next step will likely to be signing a contract in the NBA's G-League, or he could choose to pursue a career overseas.

If he signs a G-League contract, he will have the opportunity to prove himself and get on an NBA roster like his former teammates Yogi Ferrell and Thomas Bryant, who are both on NBA contracts for the 2019 season.