CAPS offers numerous programs to help students adjust to life at IU

CAPS.jpg

Adjusting to college is a difficult process, and it can be especially difficult if your adjustment includes moving to a different country. IU’s Counseling and Psychiatric Services offers counseling and workshops for students needing help with the transition.

CAPS Associate Director Chris Meno said anxiety, sadness and crying are all normal elements of transition, and students should all be kind to themselves.

“Expect that with any transition, there is going to be stress for a period of time,” Meno said.

According to a study conducted by the Journal of American College Health, international students are less likely to be aware of the resources available and also less likely to utilize resources available.

CAPS provides services in English, Spanish and Mandarin for students who feel more comfortable speaking a native language. There is both individual and group counseling available, and it offers numerous workshops, counseling and services both in-person and online. Some are free, but others cost money.

Workshops offered in the past year included topics such as “Adjusting to College”, “Mindfulness Meditation” and “Living Social.” Some of the group counseling sessions are focused on transgender students, students of color and students with chronic illnesses.

All students receive two free CAPS individual counseling sessions each semester. Rates for all following sessions are less than $65.

Along with these services, CAPS has “Let’s Talk: A Multicultural Outreach Program." This program is also offered in English, Mandarin and Spanish. These are walk-in sessions with a diverse group of counselors. "Let's Talk" is offered several places around campus, and all of these sessions are free.