news   |   bloomington

Bloomington and IU partner for 2019 Juneteenth celebration

cajuneteenth061219

Then-senior Darren Broady and IU Office of Community and School Partnerships employee Jamel Dotson lead the Juneteenth Parade June 19, 2010 down Third Street. Juneteenth is an annual celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States. Donald Roganovich and Andrew Anderson Buy Photos

Bloomington's Safe and Civil City program will partner with IU's Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center to host a Juneteenth celebration from 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, June 19 in Bryan Park.

Juneteenth is an annual celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States.

"Juneteenth is such an important moment in history that should be acknowledged and celebrated,” said Gloria L. Howell, NMBCC Associate Director in a press release from the city. “The NMBCC is excited to partner with the Safe and Civil City program to honor Juneteenth and provide a space for the IU-Bloomington communities to access resources while engaging in some fun and fellowship."

The free celebration will include food, music and games. There will also be a shuttle service running from 4:30-8:30 p.m. to Bryan Park from the NMBCC stop on North Jordan Avenue according to the release.

More in News