Saturday, July 27

sports baseball

2019 Kentucky Mr. Baseball chooses IU

spiubasepreview22519.jpg

Senior AJ Hacker has had quite the baseball career so far, and he is going to continue it with IU baseball. 

Hacker has won a number of accolades, including 2019 Kentucky Mr. Baseball, 2019 Gatorade Kentucky Player of the Year, Prep Baseball Report Player of the Year, 2019 Collegiate Baseball Newspaper High School First Team All-American and 2019 Rawlings Perfect Game All-American. 

The right-handed pitcher finished his senior year at Rowan County Senior High School with an ERA of 0.67 and recorded 110 strikeouts on the season.

Hacker batted a .446 average with 45 RBI and eight home runs as well. 

“AJ Hacker has dominated Kentucky high school baseball for several years,” Bath County High School Head Coach Patrick Armitage said in the Gatorade POY press release. “His love for and dedication to the game are apparent every time he steps onto the field.”

Rowan County had not been to Kentucky’s state high school championships for 32 years until Hacker led the team there this season. The Vikings lost 2-1 in the finals. 

Not only has Hacker excelled on the field but also the classroom with a weighted 3.84 GPA.

Hacker previously signed a national intent letter to play at Morehead State University but decided to come to IU instead.

“As a rival coach in his district, I have witnessed AJ’s competitiveness, which should translate smoothly to the next level,” Armitage said in the release. "The sky’s the limit for this young man.”