sports rowing

IU rowing set for NCAA Championships this weekend

IU ROW

As the weekend approaches, IU rowing will be heading to its sixth-straight NCAA Championships.

The Hoosiers have boats competing in three different races — First Varsity Eight, Second Varsity Eight and First Varsity Four. The 1V8 is ranked 17th, and both the 2V8 and 1V4 are ranked 12th.

This year’s NCAA Championships consists of 22 total teams and six Big Ten teams.

IU Coach Steve Peterson said he's looking forward to this weekend’s final hurrah for the team.

“Our goals for the year have never changed from the beginning," Peterson said. "Practices have been going well, and I think our crews are really excited and ready to perform. I think if they perform to their ability, that goal of finishing the year in the top ten is definitely in reach.”

Sophomore Madison Wright, stroke seat rower for the 1V8, has used her prior rowing experience to help strengthen the team this year.

“I believe my role this year has been to help the novice and varsity freshmen find their place through my seven years of experience, as well as helping contribute to the continuous success of IU rowing," Wright said.

Peterson said IU has relied on each and every rower to create the successful season that they have had so far.

“Our sport is unique in that everyone has to step up for a crew to be successful," Peterson said. "You can’t hide weaker rowers with better rowers. A crew is only as good as its weakest rower, so who are we looking towards for leadership? I would say everyone.”

The Hoosiers' best finish in the NCAA Championships in its six-year streak has been 11th place, which is why the team hopes to beat that this weekend.

The NCAA Championships take place at Eagle Creek Park in Indianapolis, with IU being referred to as the host team.