IU rowing earns NCAA Tournament bid

<p>Senior varsity rower Emma Lawrie smiles after winning a race April 20 at Dale England Rowing Center on Lake Lemon. IU beat University of Notre Dame and Michigan State.</p>

Senior varsity rower Emma Lawrie smiles after winning a race April 20 at Dale England Rowing Center on Lake Lemon. IU beat University of Notre Dame and Michigan State.

For the sixth-straight season, IU rowing was selected to compete at the NCAA Championships.

The field was announced Tuesday evening during the NCAA Selection Show where the Hoosiers were seeded No. 17 in the First Varsity Eight race, No. 12 in the Second Varsity Eight and No. 12 in the First Varsity Four.

IU is one of 22 teams in the field and one of six Big Ten teams, joining Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Rutgers and Wisconsin to make up the most Big Ten teams competing at the NCAA's in conference history.

The Hoosiers are fresh off a fifth place finish in the Big Ten Championships, where their 1V8, 2V8 and 1V4 boats all finished in third place.

Since 2014, IU’s highest finish at the NCAA Championships was 11th, and the worst it has placed in its six-year streak was 15th.

The NCAA Championships will take place May 31 to June 2 in Indianapolis.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.