Joey Brunk joins IU men’s basketball program as graduate transfer

spiubbtransfer41619.JPG

The exodus of players from the IU men’s basketball program this offseason was partially offset Tuesday as former Butler University center Joey Brunk announced he would join IU.

Brunk announced his decision to join the Hoosiers as a graduate transfer on Twitter.

His arrival in Bloomington will give IU increased frontcourt depth to support junior forward De’Ron Davis and incoming-freshman forward Trayce-Jackson Davis. Brunk will have two seasons of college eligibility left.

Earlier this offseason, forwards Jake Forrester and Clifton Moore both announced they were leaving the program.

Brunk played at Southport High School in Indianapolis, before joining Butler as a Class of 2016 recruit.

Brunk appeared in only seven games at the start of the 2016-17 season and was given a hardship waiver by the NCAA for the season to count as a redshirt season while Brunk dealt with his father’s cancer diagnosis.

He played in 20 games during the 2017-18 season, averaging 1.3 points per contest along with 1.8 rebounds per game.

During the 2018-19 season at Butler, Brunk made 13 starts and played in 32 games while averaging 7.7 points and 3.7 rebounds per game while making 61.8 percent of his field goal attempts.

Jackson-Davis also chimed in on social media following Brunk’s announcement, tweeting a picture of himself, Brunk and trainer Jason Smeathers.

IU still has open scholarships to fill prior to the 2019-20 season, although the number is dependent on how many Hoosiers leave school early for the NBA Draft.