sports golf

IU women’s golf wins Lady Boilermaker Classic

spiuwgrecap41419.jpg

This weekend in West Lafayette, Indiana, IU overwhelmed the six-team field at the Boilermaker Invitational by shooting four-under par, eight strokes better than second-place Purdue.

For the second straight week, inclement weather prevented play in the final round. This time, however, it kept the Hoosiers atop the leaderboard. IU Head Coach Clint Wallman said he believes a win like this can pay great dividends to his team this late in the season.

“It’s a really big lift,” Wallman said. “The girls definitely walked away with a huge amount of confidence.”

Sophomore Mary Parsons shot a six-under in round two, tying her own record for the lowest 18-hole score in IU history, one that she set last year as a freshman. Parsons won the individual tournament by shooting eight-under par in her two rounds of golf.

“Mary is the type of player that when she gets going, she is not afraid to make birdies,” Wallman said. “She had a really good run, and she hasn’t had a run like that in a while.”

Sophomore Priscilla Schmid was another Hoosier that shot under par for the week. Her rounds of 71 and 72 placed her in third place on the individual leaderboard at one-under par.

Wallman said he was happy with the improvements his team made from last weekend’s Clemson Invitational.

“One of our takeaways from Clemson was that we definitely needed to play the par fives better,” he said. “I think we did a really good job of that.”

IU shot ten-under par on the par fives this weekend, 20 strokes better than its par five scoring last week. The team also led the field with 30 birdies and was the only team to record an eagle.

Now, IU will turn its attention to the Big Ten Championship in Maineville, Ohio. Tournament plays runs from April 19-21.