sports golf

IU women’s golf heads south for Clemson Invitational

Then-sophomore, now-senior Erin Harper putts during the first round of the IU Invitational on April 8, 2017, at the IU Golf Course. Harper finished the 2018 Mary Fossum Invitational tied for sixth place. 

After three weeks off from competition, the IU women’s golf team travels to Sunset, South Carolina, this weekend to take part in the Clemson Invitational. The 18-team event will run from Sunday through Tuesday.

IU’s last competition was the Briar’s Creek Invitational during March in Charleston, South Carolina, where the team placed second among 17 teams. Only nationally-ranked Michigan State beat IU, and by a total of just eight strokes. This week, IU hopes to build off the recent strong finish.

“I think they are in a good place,” Head Coach Clint Wallman said. “I want them to continue doing what they’re doing.”

Competing this week for IU is freshman Alexis Miestowski, graduate Kari Bellville, sophomores Mary Parsons and Priscilla Schmid and senior Erin Harper. It is the same group that competed at the Briar’s Creek Invitational.

Wallman believes the course for the event, the Reserve at Lake Keowee, will prove a fair test of golf for all competitors.

“It’s a real shot-makers golf course,” he said. “You have to have a strong game plan, and it rewards good ball strikers.”

The tournament begins an important and busy stretch of competitive golf for IU that features a trip to Purdue next weekend and a trip to Ohio for the Big Ten Championship the following weekend.

“I think we’re motivated,” Wallman said. “We’re rested and ready to go.”