arts performances

IU alumna, pianist Jeeyoon Kim returning to Bloomington for concert

entjeeyoonbrief040219.jpg

IU alumna and classical pianist Jeeyoon Kim will perform at 7 p.m. Thursday at United Presbyterian Church, promoting her second album, "Over. Above. Beyond."

While studying at the Jacobs School of Music, Kim also worked as the music director at United Presbyterian. After receiving her Ph.D. in piano performance from IU, Kim got another master’s degree from Butler University in piano pedagogy.

Kim, who studied piano in South Korea before coming to the United States, previously performed at United Presbyterian in 2017 while on tour promoting her first album, “10 More Minutes.” The tour ended in New York City, with Kim performing to a sold-out crowd in Carnegie Hall.

She has also performed concerts at Hilbert Circle Theatre in Indianapolis, Wheeler Concert Hall at the University of Evansville and Glovil Art Hall in Busan, South Korea.

Last November, Kim won two gold medals at the Global Music Awards for Emerging Artist and Instrumentalist. The music video for “Over. Above. Beyond.” also won the Platinum Award for Best Music Video at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival.

Kim’s concert will benefit United Presbyterian’s Guest Artist Program, which promotes and schedules live performances in the Bloomington area and pays the performers.

The concert will also present drawings and paintings from South Korean artist Moonsub Shin. The pieces being presented were inspired by Kim’s Carnegie Hall performance.

Tickets for the concert are $25 for general admission and can be purchased online or at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater box office, located at 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m.