crime & courts

Here's what happens if you get caught breaking the law during Little 500

News-filler

A ticket to the Little 500 races will cost you $35 if you buy it in advance. Getting a drinking ticket will cost you a lot more than that.  

Last year, 102 tickets were issued during Little 500. This is a decrease from 166 tickets issued in 2017 and 178 issued in 2016.

IU Police Department Capt. Craig Munroe wrote in an email IUPD’s policy is to issue a citation to people caught drinking underage. For public intoxication, officers will arrest and take the person to jail.

If someone's blood alcohol content is .25 percent or higher they will be taken to the hospital first before being taken to jail, Munroe wrote.

Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo wrote in an email the laws over Little 500 weekend are no different from any other day.

“We always try to cite and release when appropriate in an effort to reduce overcrowding the jail with non-violent offenders such as those arrested for alcohol-related offenses,” he wrote in an email.

People can get minor cases dismissed by participating in a Pretrial Diversion Program, according to the Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office.

This year, it will cost $549 to go through the in the Pretrial Diversion Program, according to a document from the Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office.

Munroe gave ways to make sure to stay safe and out of trouble during the weekend.

• Do not drink in excess.

• Stay away from drugs.

• Plan if you're going to come home or stay-over somewhere before you go out and stick to it.

• Don't leave anyone from your group behind when you go home.

• Always have a sober driver or use a ride-sharing service or public transportation.