crime & courts

Bloomington man arrested for stabbing and robbing maintenance worker

A 35-year-old Bloomington man was arrested Monday afternoon after stabbing and robbing a worker of an apartment he trespassed in.

Bloomington Police Department officers responded around 1 p.m. to the 500 Block of West Kirkwood Avenue where a man had been stabbed multiple times, according to a press release.

Maintenance workers told police they went to the apartments after receiving a report of someone in one of the vacant units.

One of the workers found a man, Michael Thompson, in the apartment who then lunged at the worker with a knife, the release said.

The worker who found Thompson left to get his phone out of his car, and when he returned, a fellow 25-year-old worker was on the front porch bleeding from a stab wound on the left side of his torso and an eye injury.

Police were told by a witness the suspect ran away after stabbing and was seen going north through a neighborhood.

Officers arrested Thompson near the intersection of Seventh and Jackson streets.

The knife was found nearby, and property that belonged to the worker was found on Thompson.

According to the release, the man who was stabbed was taken to IU Health Bloomington and is in stable condition.

Thompson was arrested on the preliminary charges of attempted murder, robbery, intimidation with a deadly weapon and criminal trespass, according to the release.