sports track & field

IU track and field earns All-America honors at NCAA Championships

IU vs TEN

Eight individual IU athletes and two distance medley relay teams made the trip to Birmingham, Alabama this weekend to compete in the NCAA Championships.

The Hoosiers put up respectable times and marks all weekend, returning to Bloomington with six First Team All-America honors and two Second Team honors.

The Hoosiers kicked things off Friday night by grabbing four of the aforementioned first team honors.

Junior Khayla Dawson got things going in the shot put with her first NCAA podium finish of her career. Her distance of 17.19 meters earned her sixth place overall.

Sophomore Ben Veatch capped off his strong indoor season in the 5,000-meter with a seventh place finish. He crossed the finish line with a time of 13:49.50.

Closing things out on day one for the Hoosiers were the two distance medley relay teams.

On the men’s side, the team consisting of sophomore Zubin Muncherji, sophomore Cooper Williams, junior Kyle Mau and senior Daniel Michalski grabbed fourth place with a time of 9:33.11.

For the women, the team of sophomore Natalie Price, junior Kelsey Harris, senior Haley Harris and senior Katherine Receveur ran a time of 11:13.66, good for eighth place in the event. Both marks earned the DMR teams First Team All-America Honors.

Day two of the championships saw the Hoosiers grab more All-America honors.

The 800-meter race proved to be successful once again for the IU squad, as it grabbed top-10 finishes on both the men’s and women’s sides.

Kelsey Harris clocked a time of 2:06.99 to earn seventh place, and Williams’ time of 1:47.69 nabbed him fifth place for the men. Harris and Williams grabbed IU's final two First Team All-America honors in the process.

To conclude the competition for the Hoosiers, Second Team All-America honors were given to Mau and senior Eric Bethea.

Mau, who competed in multiple events, earned his honors in the mile and 3,000-meter. In the mile, he clocked a time of 4:10.72 for a top-10 finish, and in the 300-meter he placed ninth with a time of 7:58.25.

Bethea’s honors came in the triple jump where he set a distance of 15.71 meters. The mark also earned him 11th place overall.  

Other participants for IU this weekend included sophomore Princess Brinkley in the weight throw and junior Adam Coulon in the pole vault.

The NCAA Championships served as the final indoor meet for the Hoosiers in 2019. They return to action March 22 and 23 to kick off the outdoor season as they compete in the Sun Devil Invite in Tempe, Arizona.