arts community events books

Indiana Poet Laureate Adrian Matejka to give reading with Bloomington poets

entpoetbrief033119-pic

Indiana Poet Laureate Adrian Matejka and poets from around Bloomington will read their work at 6:30 p.m. April 5 at the Monroe County History Center.

The event, presented by Women Writing for (a) Change Bloomington, is free and open to the public. The Monroe County History Center is located at 202 E 6th St.

The poet laureate of Indiana represents the state and the art of poetry by pursuing initiatives and programming to advance the art form. Matejka was named the state poet laureate in 2017. He succeeded previous state poet laureate Shari Wagner.

Matejka is an associate professor at IU and is also the author of three collections of poetry. “The Big Smoke,” his third collection, was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry.

The event will spotlight Matejka’s poetry, followed by a brief moderated conversation with the poet. The event will also showcase local poets representing IU, Ivy Tech Community College, the Writer’s Guild and Women Writing for (a) Change.

Women Writing for (a) Change Bloomington was established in 2004. The group carries on a tradition of creative writing programs that empower individuals to find their voices, regardless of age and ability.

“Poetry is the greatest art form of them all,” Matejka said in a 2017 interview with the Indiana Daily Student. “For many of us, poetry is so vital, and it is all around us.”