arts podcast pop culture review

Double Feature: Vacations gone wrong in 'A Bigger Splash,' 'Spring Breakers'

Double-Feature-Dominant-Image

Welcome back to Double Feature, the IDS film podcast where the powers that be let us in a podcast booth to give you hot takes and maybe some lukewarm ones, too.

On this week's episode, hosts Annie Aguiar and Chris Forrester still aren't ready to admit it's not spring break anymore, but it's a little easier to admit with two twisted tales of vacations gone wrong: 2015's "A Bigger Splash" and 2012's "Spring Breakers."

"A Bigger Splash" is the second film in director Luca Guadagnino's self-described Desire trilogy, which ended in 2017 with the hit romance "Call Me by Your Name." It tells the story of famous rock singer Marianne Lane, played by Tilda Swinton, vacationing on a small Italian island with her lover Paul. The vacation promptly gets interrupted by the appearance of Harry — Marianne's ex and Paul's former mentor — and his daughter Penelope.

"Spring Breakers" is a crime-filled, neon-colored spectacle of bikinis, cocaine and Britney Spears covers with James Franco on the piano. It's a lot. Distributed by indie film darling company A24, the movie received attention for its leading actresses being former Disney starlets Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens as the titular girls gone wild.