sports track & field

Divide and Conquer: IU track and field to compete in two weekend meets

spiutfpreview32719.jpeg

The IU track and field team will split up this week, with part of the team traveling to Florida and the rest to California. 

The majority of the team will head to the University of Florida to compete in the 2019 Pepsi Florida Relays. The long distance runners head to Stanford University to take part in the Stanford Invitational. 

The short list of runners heading out west includes seniors Katherine Receveur, Maggie Allen and Daniel Michalski; juniors Kyle Mau and Bryce Millar; and sophomore Ben Veatch.

Receveur, Mau and Veatch are set to run in their respective 5,000-meter races. Allen and Millar will be doing the same in the 10,000-meter races. To close things out for IU at Stanford, Michalski will take part in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase. 

In Florida,the team will be looking for a repeat of last year’s performance at the same meet, one in which IU set a school record and saw many personal records broken.

An event to watch this weekend is the women’s long jump. The Hoosiers return with the second-place and fifth-place finishers from last season’s Florida Relays, juniors Leah Moran and Jenna Jungels. Moran jumped a distance of 6.04 meters while Jungels reached a distance of 5.85 meters last year. 

As the name of the event suggests, the relays will be a major part of this weekend. Both the men and the women’s teams are entered to compete in five different relays. These include the 4x100-meter, 4x200-meter, 4x800-meter, 1,600-meter sprint medley, and the distance medley relays. 

The relays were dominated by the Hoosiers in last year's event, when they took first place in three different races. IU beat out Purdue for first in the women’s sprint medley on its way to setting a new school record at the time. Along with that, it swept the men’s and women’s 4x800 meter races. 

The Pepsi Florida Relays begins Thursday, while the Stanford Invitational begins Friday. Both meets are set to continue through Saturday.