sports baseball

Sommer’s pitching gem carries IU baseball to 6-0 victory over Memphis

TommySommer.JPG

If IU wearing its Sunday red uniforms didn’t spell trouble for the University of Memphis on Sunday, junior outfielder Matt Gorski’s leadoff home run certainly did. 

IU set the tone early Sunday afternoon as it moved to 2-1 on the young season with a 6-0 shutout win over Memphis. 

IU Coach Jeff Mercer handed sophomore pitcher Tommy Sommer the ball for his fourth career start, and he didn’t disappoint. The southpaw went six innings strong, allowing just five hits while striking out four batters. 

The Sunday starter spot appeared to be a question mark before the season started, but Sommer may have silenced any doubt in Mercer’s mind. Sommer’s performance capped off an impressive weekend of pitching for the Hoosiers. 

IU’s offense went silent after Gorski got things started with the leadoff homer. Memphis starter Chris Durham retired the next seven batters before a hit from junior Jeremy Houston. Durham went five innings for the Tigers, allowing three earned runs and striking out seven. 

Senior outfielder Logan Kaletha relit the team's offensive fuse in the sixth inning, driving in two runs with a single through the left side of the infield to give IU a 3-0 lead. Kaletha paced the Hoosiers with three RBIs Sunday batting out of the No. 3 batting spot. 

The Hoosiers would tack on three more in the eighth inning to secure a comfortable lead on an afternoon where the Tigers used six pitchers. 

Memphis had a handful of opportunities throughout the game to put points on the board but could never capitalize. The Tigers left seven runners on base, including multiple in scoring position. 

Sophomore Connor Manous and senior Matt Lloyd pitched a combined three innings to secure IU’s six-run victory.

IU took two of three from Memphis this weekend to begin the season 2-1. IU will return to action next Friday as it heads back to Tennessee for a three-game series with the University of Tennessee.