COLUMN: "Refridgerdating" is a fad soon to pass

opfridge021219

Samsung recently created the refridgerdating app, where lonely souls can now post profiles based on the insides of their fridges on a Tinder-esque platform. 

The intent is fairly simple: post a picture of the inside of your fridge and wait for the matches to roll on in. However, Samsung didn’t make this platform just for the plebs of society. 

It’s intended for owners of Samsung’s Family Hub Refrigerator, which is a $4,000 fridge that includes a tablet on the front that can create shopping lists, take pictures of the inside of your fridge and connect to a separate Samsung-related app. It might as well do cartwheels at this point. 

While this dating service is clearly a marketing technique in order to promote the fridge, I thought I would make this fun. I decided to make a fake profile on Refrigerdating and review it. Let’s just say, I'm putting catfish on the menu tonight. 

The platform begins like any other by creating your profile. If you want to find me on Refrigerdating, my name is Jenny McCarthy, I’m 25 years old and I live in Indianapolis. 

Then you have to post a picture of the inside of your fridge. Since my actual dorm fridge is filled with three empty reusable water bottles and a bag of moldy carrots from November, I used a simple, empty fridge with a single lemon as my profile. Don’t worry, my bio makes up for what my fridge lacks. 

What if you want to use your actual fridge but are discouraged by its appearance? Well, the love doctors over at Samsung came up with a nifty personality/refrigerator classifier that gives you a sense of what your fridge could look like based on what kind of person you are. 

However, this is just a continuation of their promotion of the Family Hub Refrigerator, since they not-so-subtly tucked in sentences like “on our Side by Side refrigerators,” “the cameras inside the Family Hub” and “our refrigerators offer a slimmed design."

Samsung doesn’t care about our love, just our money, those greedy capitalists. 

I wasn’t going to let Samsung get the best of me, though. I was there to find a fake romance, and I wasn’t going to let promotions get in the way. 

So I began looking for matches. Your two options are “not my taste” or “let’s get cooking.” 

To get the best results, I swiped right on pretty much every fridge, even the ones in the Netherlands and Sweden, which is where the majority of them were located. Only a few were from the U.S. — there were ones from Detroit, Cincinnati and even Lafayette, Indiana. 

Sadly, I wasn’t getting matches the normal way, so I roped in one of my friends to also create a fake profile just so I could see what happens when a match does occur. Even then I couldn’t find him through the selection of candidates, yet he found me easily. Samsung clearly has a personal hatred towards me. 

Samsung should stick to appliances rather than playing matchmaker, even if the matchmaker role is for one of its appliances. It’s incredibly flawed and, frankly, makes absolutely zero sense. Besides, the fridge will eventually become just another old and broken refrigerator in the city dump.