crime & courts

Man arrested for breaking into rental home, leaving meth in bathroom

A 26-year-old man was arrested Saturday after being found in the bathroom of a vacant rental home. 

The property manager and the property owner’s daughter went to the home on East Circle Drive and saw lights on and heard someone in the bathroom, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Shane Rasche said. The manager cracked open the door and saw a man in the bathroom.  

Bloomington police arrived and blocked all ways out of the home. Police identified the man as Jacob Boomsma. He tried to leave out the window of the bathroom but was spotted and commanded by police to come to the front door of the home. 

Boomsma struggled when police arrested him, Rasche said.  

He told police he had entered through the unlocked front door, and a woman had let him stay there. Boomsma could not remember the name of the woman. The owners told police the door was not left unlocked. 

The property manager told police he saw Boomsma putting items into a bag in the bathroom. 

When police searched the bathroom, they found the bag, which had methamphetamine and six glass smoking devices in it. 

Boomsma also had a warrant out for failure to appear on a burglary charge. 

Police arrested him on preliminary charges of possession of methamphetamine, possession of paraphernalia, resisting law enforcement, residential entry and the outstanding burglary warrant.