Instant Recap: Iowa stages comeback win in overtime against IU men's basketball

Basketball_Iowa_Langford_Tiplick.JPG

* FINAL in OVERTIME: Iowa defeats IU 76-70.

Jordan Bohannon scored nine points in overtime, all on 3-pointers and from just ridiculous angles and perspectives, to win the game for Iowa.

IU falls to 13-14 overall and 4-12 in Big Ten play.

A game the Hoosiers should have won results in a loss, in part from poor free-throw shooting and execution down the stretch of regulation, and also due to Bohannon's heroics in the extra period and late in second half.

IU is home to Wisconsin on Tuesday night.

* End of Regulation: IU and Iowa are tied at 63.

IU with some more late-game execution problems. Rob Phinisee missed a free throw that could have put IU up by four, but instead the ice-cold Jordan Bohannon made a desperation 3-pointer to tie the game at 63.

Romeo Langford missed the potential winning 3-pointer for IU, then Morgan failed to gather the ball up for the Hoosiers on the rebound.

Free basketball in Iowa.

* Under-4 timeout (3:32 to go in the game) IU leads Iowa 59-56.

Going down to the final seconds in Iowa City.

IU's late-game execution has left a lot to be desired in recent games, especially during this four-game losing streak, but IU has a chance to change that narrative tonight.

Morgan and Davis continue to be effective inside, although the occasional poor offensive decision from Devonte Green hasn't helped matters.

Kind of feels like the lead should be larger, but here we are.

* Under-8 timeout (7:51 to go in the game) IU leads Iowa 55-54.

Things look set to go down to the wire in Iowa City.

Morgan now has five blocks for IU today, a new season-high for the senior forward.

Free throws have become a problem for IU as the Hoosiers have converted just eight of their 16 attempts.

Two categories that IU has struggled with all season — bench points and 3-pointers — have gone the way of the Hoosiers tonight.

IU is 5-21 on 3s while Iowa is 3-16, and IU has an 18-13 bench points advantage.

* Under-12 timeout (11:20 to go in the game) IU leads Iowa 49-45.

The Hoosiers remain in control in Iowa City.

Langford and Fitzner each have 11 points now, and the Hoosiers have gotten a huge defensive day out of Juwan Morgan who has four blocks.

* Under-16 timeout (15:40 to go in the game) IU leads Iowa 41-36.

Juwan Morgan quickly picked up his third foul of the game in the early-goings of the second half, so Evan Fitzner replaced him and went on to hit a 3-pointer.

Fitzner is tied with Romeo Langford as IU's leading scorer with nine points. Luka Garza is carrying the Hawkeyes with 11 points. Jordan Bohannon still scoreless for Iowa.

* HALFTIME: IU and Iowa are tied at 28.

So many subplots developed over the course of that half, I'll try my best to touch on all of them.

IU had a trio of players get into foul trouble — Juwan Morgan, Al Durham and De'Ron Davis — who all had two fouls at some point in the half and sat on the bench for the rest of the time. Zach McRoberts joined this club right before the half.

As such, IU's offense had to make up for this somehow, and the answer somewhat inexplicably with Evan Fitzner. The redshirt senior forward leads IU with six points off the bench, although all three of his baskets have come from inside the 3-point arc.

Tenacious defense from IU's guards, in particular off the bench from Devonte Green who also has five points, has prevented Iowa from settling into a rhythm from deep as the Hawkeyes did in Bloomington.

Iowa is 0-8 on 3-pointers.

The defense has been especially good against Iowa guard Jordan Bohannon, who has no points and has a plus / minus of minus 11, the worst of any player on the court.

* Under-4 timeout (3:53 left in the first half) IU leads Iowa 22-21.

Evan Fitzner has provided a bit of scoring off the IU bench, something that has been few and far between in occurrences this season. Fitzner has four points, his most since last December, and has combined with Race Thompson to give IU some quality minutes with Morgan and Davis in foul trouble.

Iowa is 0-7 on 3-pointers, something that allowed the Hawkeyes to control the flow of the game between these teams earlier this month.

Hoosiers managing their emotions well so far in Iowa City.

* Under-8 timeout (7:55 left in the first half) Iowa leads IU 17-15.

A 7-0 scoring run from Iowa has come with some help from the Hoosiers fouling, as Iowa is now in the bonus for the rest of the half and IU has three key players — Morgan, Durham and Davis — all with two fouls and on the bench.

IU has gone more than four minutes without scoring and the offense has settled for perimeter jump shots ever since Davis left the game after the first five minutes.

* Under-12 timeout (11:53 left in the first half) IU leads Iowa 15-10.

IU has maintained its five-point lead against the Hawkeyes from media timeout to media timeout.

Engaged defense from the Hoosiers, in particular from the guards, have paid dividends as Iowa is still without a made 3-pointer.

Redshirt freshman forward Race Thompson has also made an appearance for IU.

* Under-16 timeout (15:20 left in the first half) IU leads Iowa 10-5.

IU began tonight's game on an 8-0 run spurred by tight, tenacious defense and some nice offensive moves from junior forward De'Ron Davis. Davis is tied with freshman guard Rob Phinisee for the most points on IU's team as each player has five points.

Davis and senior forward Juwan Morgan have done a nice job of bringing a physical interior presence for the Hoosiers so far, frustrating the Iowa crowd.

There is also a noticeable effort from guards Romeo Langford, Al Durham and Devonte Green to close down on Iowa's 3-point shooters after the way this season's earlier meeting between the two teams played out.

* Underway from Iowa City. Iowa wins the opening tipoff.

* Here are the starting lineups for tonight's game.

* Here are three things to know about tonight's matchup. 

* This is the second meeting between the teams this season. Iowa defeated IU, 77-72, in Bloomington on Feb. 7.

* The Hoosiers and Hawkeyes enter tonight's contest at opposite ends of the Big Ten Conference standings. Iowa has a 20-6 overall record and a 9-6 mark in conference games, while IU is 13-13 overall and a dismal 4-11 in conference games.

* Hello and welcome to tonight's live updates page for the men's basketball game between IU and Iowa, live from Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa.