sports wrestling

IU wrestling set to finish Big Ten season on road

IU WRESTLING

IU wrestling will take on No. 3 Iowa and No. 8 Minnesota in its final away competitions of the season this weekend. 

IU is riding high off its dominating upset against Stanford University last Sunday. The team is now 5-10 on the season and 1-6 in Big Ten competitions. 

IU has managed two wins this season against ranked opponents, and to find success this weekend, it will need two more. It all starts Friday night against Iowa. 

As the second-most successful program in NCAA history, Iowa has again put together a top-tier roster this season. The Hawkeyes have 23 NCAA team titles and are undefeated so far this season with 12 wins. 

Friday night will be Iowa’s senior day, and the team will be looking to put on a show for its soon-to-be graduates.

Iowa has had seven undefeated Big Ten seasons since Tom Brands took over as head coach in 2006.

It will be an uphill battle for the Hoosiers as they try to break their 23-competition losing streak to the Hawkeyes. Iowa leads the all-time series against IU 38-4-3.

Sunday afternoon’s matchup with Minnesota will be IU’s last road competition of the season. Minnesota stands at 13-3 on the season, with nearly 280 points scored.

Sophomore Jake Covaciu is expected to take on Minnesota junior Devin Skatzka in the 174-pound weight class. Shatzka transferred from IU to wrestle for the Gophers this season and has racked up an impressive 20 wins this year.

The 285-pound weight class will be another tough matchup for the Hoosiers, as Golden Gophers true freshman Gable Stevenson has a perfect 26-0 record to start his collegiate wrestling career. 

IU’s matchup with Iowa will begin at 8 p.m Friday. Its meeting with Minnesota begins at 2 p.m. Sunday.