sports wrestling

IU wrestling dominates in final competition of regular season

IU VS UTC

IU wrestling was flawless in its 32-0 senior day win versus the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. 

The Hoosiers ended their season with a 6-12 record and won a majority of their home matchups. 

The IU seniors were honored with video tributes at Wilkinson Hall throughout the dual competition, and the rest of the team rallied behind them. 

IU Coach Angel Escobedo said he was thrilled by his team’s showing and was happy to send the seniors off on the right foot. 

“It’s what we really wanted,” Escobedo said. “We couldn’t have asked for a better performance.”

The Hoosiers were the aggressors throughout the entire matchup. 

Senior Elijah Oliver came out on the attack in the first match of the day. Using a series of takedowns to gain the upper hand, he dominated in his 8-5 win. 

The crowd erupted with freshman Kyle Luigs' comes from behind 12-8 win at the 141-pound weight class. After trailing Chattanooga’s Chris Debien the entire match, Luigs scored some crucial near falls late in the third period to grind out the win. 

Wins from senior Jake Danishek, freshman Paul Konrath and junior Fernando Silva capped off a great first half for the Hoosiers and secured a 15-0 lead heading into the intermission. 

IU’s seniors kept the momentum going after the break. 

Senior Bryce Martin scored the most points of the day in his 16-6 major decision victory. 

Redshirt junior Buddy Conley got in on the fun and secured a 13-5 win against Chattanooga’s Ben Stacey. 

Sophomores Jacob Covaciu and Jake Kleimola chipped in wins of their own to bump IU’s lead to 29-0.  

In the final match of the day, senior Fletcher Miller won a tough bout in the 285-pound weight class by a score of 5-1. Pressure was put on Miller to close out the perfect competition, and he happily accepted the challenge. 

“It made me more excited,” Miller said. “Everyone was having fun and winning, and I wanted in on that action.”

The win will give the Hoosiers a much-needed morale boost as they prepare for the Big Ten Wrestling Championships later on in March.