sports water polo

IU water polo's losing streak extends to eight games

spiuwprecap21719.jpg

In its return trip to California this weekend, the IU water polo team dropped both its matches.

IU fell to No. 1 University of Southern California 19-1 on Saturday and to No. 7 University of California, Irvine 12-6 on Sunday.

Against the Trojans, the Hoosiers struggled to muster any offense, managing just 11 shots on goal. Junior driver and team captain Emily Powell scored the team's lone goal of the match.

In two matches against USC this season, IU has managed just two goals — a testament to its opponent's defense.

Following the Saturday night route, IU faced off against UC-Irvine on Sunday. The Anteaters entered the contest with a 5-3 edge in the all-time series between the two teams.

IU was able to find its way onto the scoreboard in the match, posting six goals. Junior attacker Megan Abarta had a strong showing with three goals on the day. 

Freshman attacker Tina Doherty also added a goal, bringing her season total to 14. Freshman utility Izzy Mandema and sophomore driver Juli Hilovsky also notched one goal each for the Hoosiers.

Freshman goalkeeper Mary Askew posted a solid performance, saving five shots and adding a steal. 

Powell also had a great match on the defensive side, totaling five steals.

The Hoosiers fell behind early but fought back late in the fourth quarter scoring four goals in the frame. 

The Hoosiers' losing streak now sits at eight games, while their season record is 1-8. 

IU returns to the pool March 1 for its first home matches of the season. 

The Indiana Classic will host Salem University, Mercyhurst University, Wagner College, California State University, East Bay and California State University, Northridge. IU boasts a lifetime record of 44-6 against teams.