IU SPEA organizes panel to discuss medical marijuana

camarijuana020519

The School of Public and Environmental Affairs is coordinating panels on medical marijuana because it wants to educate students on research and discuss public policy concerns.

All forms of marijuana are illegal in Indiana. CBD is the substance found in marijuana that can reduce anxiety and isn't illegal in Indiana.

SPEA is organizing an academic conference focused on medical marijuana research and the possible consequences of legalization. It will be 9 to 11:45 a.m. Friday in Spea Room 167. The panelists include professors, state representatives and businesspeople.

“The focus of the event is to be able to get people together who are doing research in this area,” SPEA professor Beth Cate said.

Assistant SPEA professor and panelist Alex Hollingsworth said medical marijuana can be used for ailments like epilepsy and chronic pain.

Hollingsworth said a key difference between medical and recreational marijuana is the former requires a prescription.

Cate said people both for and against marijuana legalization will be speaking at the second panel. There will be a state legislator there who vocally supports legalization, along with a member of the Indiana Prosecuting Attorneys Council who is against it.

Cate said the debate around marijuana legalization is interesting because marijuana is illegal on the federal level, but certain states have legalized the drug.

“We thought it was a good time to take a look at not only the research but also this kind of crazy patchwork quilt situation,” Cate said.