sports golf

IU senior golfer Jake Brown to participate in Genesis Open Collegiate

golf 5.jpg

IU senior Jake Brown and 11 other collegiate golfers will compete in the Genesis Collegiate Open Showcase at Rivieria Country Club in Los Angeles on Monday February 11. 

The best of the dozen golfers will earn a spot in the Genesis Open, a PGA Tour event, that will run at the same club from February 14-17.

Because of Brown's participation in this event, he will rest on the Saturday of the Big Ten Match Play Championship this weekend. Sophomore Evan Yakubov will swap in for him.

The showcase will also feature a pro-am style event with a PGA Tour pro and two amateurs representing their alma mater. The pros that are expected to compete in the event include Indiana alumus Chase Wright, Unviersity of Kentucky alumnus J.B Holmes and University of Nevada, Las Vegas alumnus Ryan Moore. 

The three-man teams will play each other in best-ball play. The lowest scoring team will win a $50,000 donation to their schools’ golf program.

Brown is in his fifth and final season at IU. He qualified for the NCAA Regional last year and tied for 14th at 1-under par. He posted a scoring average of 72.50 for that season. His career scoring average of 73.78 is one of the best in program history as he enters the spring season of his last year at IU.