sports   |   men's soccer

IU men's soccer announces spring schedule

spiumsbrief21419

Coach Todd Yeagley talks to his team after IU defeated the University of Connecticut on Nov. 18 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers will play in eight games from Feb. 23rd to April 19 for the 2019 spring season. Matt Begala Buy Photos

IU men’s soccer released its 2019 spring schedule on Tuesday after a run to the College Cup last season.

The Hoosiers will play in eight games from Feb. 23 to April 19.

“Our upcoming spring schedule will provide us a good platform to develop, evaluate and experiment as we build for the fall season,” IU Coach Yeagley said in an IU Athletics press release. “The opportunity to gain valuable game experience for our young players as well as continuing to push our returners with specific areas of improvement will be valuable over the next three months.”

IU will take on Valparaiso University and the University of Indianapolis in a nine-versus-nine scrimmage that’s closed to the public Feb. 23 at Mellencamp Pavilion.

The Hoosiers will also play in a pair of games in Westfield, Indiana at Grand Park, the home of the Big Ten Men’s Soccer Tournament. 

IU will face DePaul University and the University of Notre Dame on March 2 and April 12. The matchup with Notre Dame is a rematch of the 2018 NCAA Tournament Elite Eight in which IU won 1-0 to advance to the College Cup.

The lone game that IU will play at Bill Armstrong Stadium will be on April 7 against Lipscomb University. IU will travel to Louisville, Kentucky to take on the University of Louisville to finish spring play on April 19.

The highlight of the spring schedule is a trip to Mexico City. IU will face the Cruz Azul U-20 team and the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México team on March 12 and 14, respectively.

“The opportunity to travel to Mexico City and represent Indiana University is a great honor,” Yeagley said in the release. “The soccer component will be a wonderful opportunity to test our team. The time off the field will be an experience that our players will cherish for many years to come.”

More in Sports