IU football adds 2 recruits on National Signing Day

The 2019 IU football recruiting class just got a bit bigger.

Wednesday marked National Signing Day across the college football landscape, and the Hoosiers officially signed two more recruits: defensive back Josh Sanguinetti and offensive lineman Tim Weaver. 

Although it was a relatively small haul for IU Coach Tom Allen given the early signing period in which the program signed 19 prospects, he said he is excited about his team’s new recruiting class as a whole.

Allen said he plans on evaluating the transfer market, especially among offensive lineman, to fill out the remaining roster spots before the 2019 season begins.

“We have a good plan for the new structure we’re in, which is having an opportunity to evaluate the transfer portal,” Allen said. “It’s kind of a whole new world for everybody, and it’s great to have a few spots here at the end that we’ll be able to utilize.”

Sanguinetti and Weaver’s signings round IU’s recruiting class out at 21 total players, which includes 10 defensive players, seven offensive players, two athletes, one offensive/defensive player and one long snapper.

With the incoming freshman class almost fully fleshed out, here’s what you need to know about the Hoosiers’ final two signees.

Josh Sanguinetti — 6-foot-1-inch defensive back, from Lauderdale Lakes, Florida

Sanguinetti is one of the more heralded recruits in Allen’s latest signing class after making a name for himself as a star defensive back at the Nova Southeastern University prep school, NSU University School, in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. 

He was named his team’s most valuable player last season after recording 42 tackles, four interceptions and three pass breakups, while also leading his high school to a semistate appearance and was named first team all-state. He finished his career as University’s career leader in interceptions and a four-time all-county selection.

According to 247Sports, Sanguinetti was a three-star recruit and the 35th-ranked safety in the country. He chose IU over Auburn University, Baylor University, Boston College and Mississippi State University.

“Josh really brings a great skill set to our secondary,” Allen said. “He has a ton of talent that we think would be a great addition to our already talented young secondary that we did a really good job with last year.

Tim Weaver — 6-foot-5-inch offensive lineman, Hellertown, Pennsylvania

Weaver chose to sign with IU after a big senior season at Saucon Valley High School in Pennsylvania.

As a captain, Weaver helped lead his team to a 10-3 record during the 2018 season, while also being named a first team all-state selection.

During his high school career, Weaver was also a two-time all-area and all-conference selection.

247Sports listed rated Weaver as a three-star recruit and the 120th-ranked offensive lineman in the nation. Weaver also considered the University of Akron, Bucknell University and Rutgers before choosing to sign with IU.

“He is a young man that we really feel has a lot of potential and upside,” Allen said. “He has the body type we were looking for to play offensive tackle and has the flexibility to play both outside and inside.”