arts iu cinema

IU Cinema to screen Hitchcock classic ‘Strangers on a Train’

entcinemabrief021819.jpg

As part of its ongoing “City Lights Film Series,” the IU Cinema will screen the 1951 film “Strangers on a Train” at 4 p.m. Feb. 23. 

“Alfred Hitchcock’s classic psychological thriller is a tale of two men whose lives become entangled by their chance meeting on a train,” according to a summary of the film on IU Cinema’s website. 

When one of the men complains about struggles in his personal life, the other conceives of a devious plan to solve them.

The movie is adapted from Patricia Highsmith’s novel of the same name and is widely celebrated as another hit from one of cinema’s most prolific directors. 

It holds a 98 percent positive rating on review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes and has an IMDb score of 8 out of 10. Cinematographer Robert Burks was nominated for an Academy Award for best cinematography, black and white for his work on the film. 

Hitchcock, an English filmmaker often regarded as among film’s most influential storytellers, was known for his mastery of mystery. His most notable works include the suspense thriller “Psycho,” the intensely psychological noir “Vertigo” and the classic spy caper “North by Northwest.” 

The cinema’s “City Lights Film Series” is a continuing film screening series that celebrates important 20th century films. All of the films programmed are selected from the title list in the Lilly Library’s David S. Bradley Film Collection.

The screening is free but ticketed. Tickets are available online or at the door.