student life

IU Cadet Program teaching, preparing students since 1972

cacadet021319-pic

IU Police Department Cadet Jasmyn Bell, junior, became interested in law enforcement in middle school from watching TV shows like "Criminal Minds." 

Cadet Patrick Hash, senior, was in the Navy Military Police and wanted to continue serving after leaving. 

Both are members of the IU Cadet Officer Program. After two semesters as cadets, Bell and Hash will enter the IU Police Academy, which started in 1972.  They will be certified police officers for IUPD upon completion of that summer program, and will then work for IUPD part time.

Applications for the Fall 2019 Cadet Officer Program close Feb 28. IUPD Sgt. James Snyder said last year there were 72 applicants, and 40 were selected. 

“Through the program you can learn at lot more hands on, real world experiences as opposed to what you can read in a text book,” Hash said.  

Cadets often work security for sporting events. 

After they graduate the academy, they can start working part time for IUPD as police officers. They patrol places like IU’s residence halls and have the power to arrest people.

Hash and Bell are both criminal justice majors. They balance their school time with shifts. 

“First and foremost, they are IU students and we understand that,” IUPD Maj. Stephen Luce said. 

Students in the program are able to set their own schedules around their classes, choose how many hours they want and have other members take their shifts if they need to. 

There are physical tests about every two months, which are required by the state of Indiana, Snyder said. 

“I used to be really lazy and weak, but I’ve definitely gained some muscles,” Bell said. 

Both Luce and Snyder graduated from the cadet program themselves as did the vast majority of officers at IUPD, Snyder said. 

Luce came to IU to play football and then joined the program. He was in the program in 2006. 

Snyder graduated in 1987 and was working full-time for IUPD 3 months later. 

“I came to IU for school and never left,” Snyder said. 

He said the opportunity to teach and share knowledge is what has kept him at IUPD for so long. 

Hash hopes to continue onto a similar path as Snyder and join IUPD. Bell wants to work for the FBI. 

The placement rate of students into a professional job after the program is high, Luce said. 

“The value is down the road,” he said. “Right now it is what it is, but you’re getting in valuable training and experience now that most people don’t get in their career until they’ve been on for several years.” 

Bell and Hush said they have seen benefits of the program.

“It helps you decide whether this lifestyle or this field of work is actually for you or not,” Bell said.