Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

IU track and field prepares for Power 5 Invitational

<p>Then-junior Treyton Harris, now a senior, competes in the long jump in 2018 during the Big Ten Outdoor Track and Field Championships. IU will be participating in the Power 5 Invitational on Feb. 1 and 2.&nbsp;</p>

Then-junior Treyton Harris, now a senior, competes in the long jump in 2018 during the Big Ten Outdoor Track and Field Championships. IU will be participating in the Power 5 Invitational on Feb. 1 and 2. 

The IU men's and women's track and field teams hit the road this weekend and travel to Ann Arbor, Michigan, to take part in the Power 5 Invitational. 

The Hoosiers, who have competed outside of Gladstein Fieldhouse just once this season, are set to face a slew of solid competition. 

The meet will feature teams such as Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Kansas, University of Louisville, Michigan State and Vanderbilt University, among others. 

All teams competing in the event are part of one of the Power 5 Conferences: the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, ACC and SEC. 

Along with the Hoosier men, who sit at No. 12 in this week’s national rankings, a few other teams come into the invitational ranked. Wisconsin sits at No. 14, while Kansas is No. 19. 

For the women, Georgia Tech enters at No. 23. 

IU is familiar with Wisconsin after last weekend’s IU Relays. The Badgers barely edged out the Hoosiers for first place in the men’s 3,000-meter and the women's 5,000-meter.  

The Hoosiers are coming off a weekend in which they saw a variety of top-three finishes, personal records and even a new school record. 

The men’s distance medley relay team of junior Kyle Mau, senior Daniel Michalski and sophomores Zubin Muncherji and Cooper Williams set the IU school record with their time of nine minutes and 27.3 seconds. It was also the fastest time in the NCAA this season. 

IU also saw first-place finishes in many mid-distance and distance events such as the women’s distance medley relay, mile and 800-meter, along with the men’s 800-meter. 

On the field side, junior Adam Coulon took home top honors in the men's pole vault, while junior Khayla Dawson grabbed first in the women’s shot put. 

The invitational begins at noon Friday.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.