student life

IU student petition to cancel Wednesday classes gains traction

capetition012819

An online petition persuading IU officials to cancel classes Wednesday was signed by more than 6,000 students within the first hour of its creation.

By 8 p.m. Monday, the petition has more than 16,000 signatures.

Junior Josh Bromberg said he created the petition Monday after he looked at Wednesday’s weather forecast and realized how cold it could get.

“It’s just brutal, you know,” he said.

The National Weather Service issued a wind chill warning from 10 p.m. Tuesday until 1 p.m. Thursday in Bloomington. Wind chills could reach 40 degrees below zero, which can cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 10 minutes, according to the National Weather Service website.

Bromberg said he is worried about walking from the Delta Chi fraternity house where he lives to his classes at the Kelley School of Business. He said the walk takes about 15 minutes.

He said he got ever more concerned after googling the symptoms of hypothermia.

“I’m sure the university would rather take the day and cancel than have students getting hurt or sick,” he said.

He originally planned on sending the petition to Idie Kesner, dean of the Kelley School of Business, or IU President Michael McRobbie if about 1,000 people signed. 

A member of IU Student Government confirmed Monday the organization emailed David O’Guinn, Vice Provost for Student Affairs about canceling classes Wednesday for safety reasons.

IUSG released a statement Tuesday saying it has been in contact with IU administrators and will continue to release information as it becomes available.

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said despite the petition, officials have to base their decision to cancel classes on university guidelines.

“We’re considering all the factors related to severe weather and the safety of students,” he said. “We’re going to make sure we keep them safe.”

Carney said students will be notified if classes are canceled, but it might not be until the morning of the cancelation.

This story has been updated.