IU Crimson all-girl cheerleading claims sixth national championship

<p>Cheerleaders attempt to excite the crowd during the 2018 Hoosier Hysteria in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The IU Crimson all-girl cheerleading team won its sixth national championship title Sunday night.</p>

Cheerleaders attempt to excite the crowd during the 2018 Hoosier Hysteria in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The IU Crimson all-girl cheerleading team won its sixth national championship title Sunday night.

For the third time in four years, the IU Crimson all-girl cheerleading team were crowned national champions Sunday night.

IU placed first in the All Girl Division IA at the UCA & UDA College Cheerleading and Dance Team National Championship at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

The teams in order who placed behind IU this year were San Diego State University, Florida State University, the University of Oklahoma and the University of South Florida.

IU also won national championships in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017.

Last year, IU came in fifth place which was only the second time in seven years that the Hoosiers didn't win the national championship and that loss snapped a two-year title streak.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.