arts   |   community events

Have you ever wanted to make your own magazine? Now's your chance.

entzine011519

Artists and writers will showcase their work 11 a.m. Jan. 19 at Monroe County Public Library for the library’s event celebrating Bloomington’s independent magazines. The event, titled Zine Day, gives creators throughout the community an opportunity to give presentations and explain their work.  Courtesy Photo Buy Photos

Artists and writers will showcase their work at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Monroe County Public Library for Zine Day, an event celebrating Bloomington’s independent magazines.

Creators from the community will give presentations and explain the meanings, motivations and stories behind their work. Zine Day is open to anyone above the age of 12 and free for all participants, who will also have the opportunity to make their own zine. The event will take place in the library’s auditorium.

A zine is a self-published or homemade magazine about specific subject matters or specific stories. Zines are similar to regular magazines, both combining pictures and text, but are made on a smaller scale. 

Zine Day is being held to debut the library’s own collection of popular and locally created zines.

The new zine collection will mainly consist of donations from Boxcar Books, a popular Bloomington bookstore and community center which closed in 2017. Other local zine creators have also donated their works to the library. 

“The library zine collection will be an extension of Boxcar’s collection,” Matt Neer, community engagement librarian, said. “We wanted to make sure there is still a place for these kinds of collections.”

More in Arts