sports   |   men's soccer

IU men's soccer players Panchot and Gutjahr sign professional contracts

panchot-1

Senior midfielder Austin Panchot runs alongside a Michigan defender at the Big Ten Tournament Championship game Nov. 11 at Grand Park. Alexis Oser Buy Photos

With eight seniors graduating from the IU men’s soccer program, the former players have started to find homes with professional teams to play at the next level.

Two more former players to announce their signings are midfielders Austin Panchot and Jeremiah Gutjahr.

On Wednesday morning, Panchot announced his signing with United Soccer League’s North Carolina FC. He scored 13 goals with nine assists in his four years at IU. 

Panchot was also responsible for a pair of game-winning goals in the NCAA Tournament to help guide back to the College Cup.

“Austin is coming from an outstanding program with good coaching and a great environment,” North Carolina FC Coach Dave Sarachan said in a press release. “They had a good run this year and he was one of four or five seniors that I watched and I think could translate to the next level. His starting point coming in will be good for a young player and he’ll have some versatility.”

Senior midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr reaches to block Air Force soccer player Luis Martinez’s pass Nov. 25 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers defeated the Falcons 2-0 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.  Matt Begala Buy Photos

Gutjahr was rumored to be close to signing a homegrown deal with the Chicago Fire, and there hasn’t been an official release from the two sides yet, but according to Paul Tenorio, the Athletic national soccer reporter, on Twitter, the deal is done.

After suffering a season-ending injury last season, Gutjahr resumed his position as a key member of the IU defense that led the NCAA with 15 shutouts. In 2018, Gutjahr also scored a goal in the Big Ten Tournament Championship against Michigan and recorded an assist in a win against the University of Evansville.

More in Sports