sports   |   wrestling

Wrestling gets first dual-competition win

spiuwres08_web

Then-freshman, now senior, Bryce Martin wrestles against Maryland during the 2015-16 season at the University Gym. IDS file photo Buy Photos

IU picked up its first dual-competition win of the season Friday with a 21-15 win over Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. 

The win moved IU’s record to 1-1 and extended the team’s win-streak against the Cougars to 11 straight competitions. 

Redshirt freshman Paul Konrath built off his strong showings last week at Virginia and the Hokie Open by muscling up another solid performance for the Hoosiers. Konrath took down Coleman Brainard via pin. 

Sophomore Dillon Hoey performed well for the Hoosiers as well by coming out on top of a close 7-5 matchup against Ryan Harnell of SIU Edwardsville. 

Some of the younger wrestlers shinned for IU in the dual competition, but the senior leadership was right there with them to secure some victories. 

After his second-place finish last Sunday, redshirt senior Bryce Martin came out strong and handed Nate Higgins a 12-5 defeat. Senior Elijah Oliver snagged another key victory for the Hoosiers, with a 6-4 result in his bout with Austin Macias. 

Coming off of last week’s loss, IU Coach Angel Escobedo wanted the team to focus on correcting “specific, technical mistakes." Believing the team just needed to sharpen its competitive edge, adjustments were made that clearly worked in IU’s favor. 

On Nov. 17, the Hoosiers will head over to Annapolis, Maryland, for a full day at the Navy Classic. 

More in Sports