student life bloomington

Things to do in Bloomington over Thanksgiving break

IU in the fall

Although it may seem like a ghost town the week of Nov. 17-25 during IU’s Thanksgiving break, there is still a multitude of activities for those staying in Bloomington. With activities ranging from basketball games to markets and concerts, Bloomington will be lively and bustling this Thanksgiving break.

Pantry 279 Thanksgiving Food Drive — 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Nov. 17 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Ellettsville, Indiana: Pantry 279 is looking for volunteers to help package and deliver boxes filled with traditional Thanksgiving food for families in need. The pantry is open to the public and is looking to fill more volunteer spots for the holiday food drive. Sign up for this event is available at Pantry 279’s website.

Harvest Market — 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 17-18 Whippoorwill Hill at 1780 E. Rayletown Road: Make holiday shopping a breeze this year at the Harvest Market where 24 booths will offer handcrafted Christmas gifts, vintage clothing, handmade jewelry, fresh food, live music and even accessories customized for cats and dogs. With so many options, one can find a holiday gift for even the most picky of people.

Swimming and Diving IU Invitational — Nov. 15-17 at Counsilman Billingsley Aquatic Center: Take on Thanksgiving break with a splash by checking out the three-day swimming and diving invitational meet.

Volleyball vs. Nebraska — 7 p.m. Nov. 17 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall: Check out the women’s volleyball team as they take on No. 14-ranked Nebraska this break.

Women’s basketball vs. North Florida — 2 p.m. Nov. 18 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall: Kick off break by watching the women’s basketball team take on North Florida University at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

Yowler — 8 p.m Nov. 19 at The Bishop: Alternative/indie musician Yowler is coming to the Bishop this Thanksgiving break. Yowler’s 2015 release “The Offer” offers smooth vocals and harmonies that listeners can hear for themselves on Spotify and YouTube.

Men’s basketball vs. UT Arlington — 7 p.m. Nov. 20 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall: Catch the men’s basketball team as they take on UT Arlington. This is a great way to catch a preview of the basketball team’s skills and to spread some Hoosier hysteria for the home team.

Women’s basketball vs. University of Florida — 2 p.m. Nov. 21 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall: The women’s basketball team will be competing against University of Florida.

Volleyball vs. Purdue — 7 p.m. Nov. 21 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall:  Make sure to check out the classic Indiana rivalry as the women’s volleyball team competes against No. 12-ranked Purdue at home.

Holly Days - Celebrate the Season — 5:30 and 8 p.m. Nov. 23 at Buskirk-Chumley Theater: Bloomington Symphony Orchestra will be performing classic holiday music this Thanksgiving break. The event takes place around the Canopy of Lights celebration in downtown Bloomington, allowing for time to attend both holiday celebrations.

Men’s basketball vs. UC Davis — 7 p.m. Nov. 23 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall: The men’s basketball team will take on UC Davis at home over break, a great way for basketball fans to get out of the house.

Football vs. Purdue — Nov. 24 at Memorial Stadium: IU will take on rival Purdue on home turf this break, making for a football showdown IU fans won’t want to miss. The time of the game has not been announced yet.

Bloomington Holiday Market — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 24 at City Hall, 401 N. Morton St.: The 16th annual Bloomington Holiday Market will be showcasing locally grown produce, arts and crafts and live music. The TubaSantas will be making a live music appearance as well.

Women’s basketball vs. Northern Illinois — 2 p.m. Nov. 25 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall: The women’s basketball team will be playing Northern Illinois this break.

Who Stole the Canopy of Lights? — Nov. 2 to Dec. 29 at Monroe County History Center: This new exhibition by the Monroe County History Center features an interactive scavenger hunt through the history of Monroe County. Tickets are $2 for adults, $1 for ages 6-17 and free for children 5 and under.

Holiday Season Volunteers at Shalom Community Center — Nov. 16-25 at Shalom Community Center: The Shalom Community Center is looking for volunteers this Thanksgiving break to work the hospitality desk for client services, for meal prep and services, as an employment counselor and for special holiday events and meals. Shifts are available between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday to Friday. Register for these events by visiting the Shalom website.