bloomington

Participate in Giving Tuesday locally or nationally

Robin Menzyka, a volunteer at the 24th Annual Soup Bowl Benefit, serves soup for attendees Sunday, Feb. 18. The soup bowl is a fundraising opportunity for Hoosier Hills Food Bank that served soup from 42 local business this year. 

Giving Tuesday is a movement that focuses on giving back during the holiday season. 

Since it started in 2012 by New York's 92nd Street Y in partnership with the United Nations, Giving Tuesday has become widely recognized. It began as an effort to combat commercialism surrounding Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas with a national day of charity. It is celebrated in over 150 countries, but there are also local movements in communities.

It always takes place the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. It falls on Nov. 27this year.

Often referred to as #GivingTuesday on social media, the campaign is an opportunity for nonprofits to come together on one day and raise awareness. The campaign serves as a donation platform and encourages companies and individuals to donate.

Giving Tuesday encourages not only donating but also spreading the word and participating in any way you can. Here are several ways to be charitable on Giving Tuesday and during the holiday season.

#MyGivingStory Share a story explaining why you donated or gave back and enter it in the My Giving Story contest on the Giving Tuesday website. The winner gets $10,000 donated to his or her favorite cause.

Give back in Bloomington Whether or not it’s participating in Giving Tuesday, there is an array of nonprofits in Bloomington that could always use a little extra help. Some of the organizations closer to campus include My Sister’s Closet, Community Kitchen, Monroe County Humane Association, Hoosier Hills Food Bank or United Way of Monroe County. You can help by donating your time and volunteering or making a monetary donation.

Donate globally You can search the Giving Tuesday website and choose a participating charity to donate to.

Promote Giving Tuesday Show the world how you are giving back by posting a selfie, or ‘un’selfie, on social media with the hashtag #UNselfie to promote the campaign.

Support Indianapolis’ campaign There are currently over 100 smaller community campaigns in the United States to help localize donations and support. Several nonprofits in Indianapolis participate in Giving Tuesday. Over 260 local organizations participated last year, including the Boys & Girls Club, the Humane Society, Riley’s Children Foundation and Best Buddies. If you are interested in supporting an organization, check their website to see if they are participating this year and looking for donations.

Give pro bono You can help nonprofits with their own campaigns and help them reach a wider audience. Start by using the pro bono toolkit on Giving Tuesday’s website or following the steps on Taproot+.