INSTANT RECAP: Romeo Langford leads IU men's basketball in scoring as IU wins

Basketball_ChicagoState_Langford_Tiplick.JPG

* FINAL: IU defeats Chicago State 104-55 to start the 2018-19 season with a 1-0 record.

IU outscored Chicago State 51-23 in the second half and the Hoosiers were led in scoring by Romeo Langford, who had 19 points.

A total of of four IU players scored in double digits, but the Hoosiers struggled from the free-throw line, making just 19 of 33 attempts.

Chicago State was abysmal shooting the ball, in particular 3-pointers, for most of the game as IU's athleticism and length prevented the Cougars from having much success down low. 

Rob Phinisee and Devonte Green both also played intense defense for IU in isolated stretches of the game. Juwan Morgan had eight rebounds and Evan Fitzner had seven rebounds for Archie Miller's team.

* Under-8 timeout: IU leads Chicago State 81-44 with 7:47 left in the game.

Damezi Anderson has scored his first points of the game via a 3-pointer, while Smith continues his scoring frenzy as the sophomore forward now has 13 points. Langford leads the Hoosiers with 19 points.

Chicago State is down to 32.7-percent shooting for the game.

* Under-12 timeout: IU leads Chicago State 70-38 with 11:40 left in the game.

Rob Phinisee with an excellent four-minute period for IU, as he hustled on defense, forced steals and made smart decisions passing the ball.

Combined between Phinisee and Langford, the duo has 23 points, seven assists, six rebounds, five steals and two turnovers.

Chicago State continues to take bad shots and miss wildly on them, air-balling several attempts.

* Under-16 timeout: IU leads Chicago State 64-34 with 15:48 left in the game.

Chicago State has started the second half incredibly cold form the field, scoring just two points in the first 4:12 of the second period.

Rob Phinisee has scored his first points of the game via a pair of layups, while Justin Smith now has nine points.

Langford still leads the Hoosiers with 17 points, and he also has four rebounds and three assists. 

* HALFTIME: IU leads Chicago State 53-32.

Romeo Langford has had an efficient shooting night for the Hoosiers, scoring 17 points on 7-9 shooting from the field.

Senior forward Evan Fitzner also has 12 points to pace IU on offense, while the Hoosiers have really clamped down on the Cougars on the defensive end. Fitzner has five rebounds to lead IU while Langford has three assists, tied with Rob Phinisee for the most on the team.

Chicago State is shooting just 38.7-percent from the field at the break.

* Under-4 timeout: IU leads Chicago State 39-25 with 3:49 to go until halftime.

Sloppy offensive play and missed free throws have been mixed with good ball movement at times from IU.

The Hoosiers are just 7 of 15 shooting free throws and have committed five turnovers, but have also found success with interior passing and 3-point shooting.

Langford is IU's double-digit scorer with 12 points.

* Under-8 timeout: IU leads Chicago State 29-16 with 7:43 to go until halftime.

Romeo Langford has taken over for the Hoosiers, as he now leads the team with seven points scored. He also has a pair of rebounds and assists in his 10 minutes of game action. Of Langford's points, six have come in the last two minutes.

Rob Phinisee is the closest Hoosier to being in foul trouble, as he has two fouls.

Chicago State is shooting just 7 of 20 from the field.

* Under-12 timeout: IU leads Chicago State 21-13 with 11:33 to go until halftime.

IU has expanded its lead to eight points thanks largely to the play of Juwan Morgan.

The senior forward has five points, four rebounds and an assist and a block in his eight minutes of playing time. Evan Fitzner also has five points, as does Devonte Green, who checked in for his first playing time of the season.

Chicago State has continued to shoot poorly from behind the 3-point arc, going just 1-5.

* Under-16 timeout: IU leads Chicago State 11-6 with 14:29 to go until halftime.

The Cougars have settled for a lot of 3-point shots early on, and none of them have gone down. The Cougars are 0-3 from downtown, while the Hoosiers have three points each from Devonte Green and Zach McRoberts, both on 3-pointers.

Juwan Morgan already has four rebounds for IU.

* IU controls the opening tip. A defensive foul is called against Chicago State's Christian Jacob, then Romeo Langford misses a corner three. A Chicago State turnover gives IU the ball back, and Justin Smith scores IU's first point of the season from the foul line.

IU leads CSU 1-0 with 18:57 to go in the first half.

* Tonight's starting lineup for IU is the same as in the exhibition win against the University of Southern Indiana.

* According to an IU Athletics release before the start of tonight's game, IU will wear its red road uniforms for tonight's game because Chicago State's road uniforms have not yet been delivered to the team.

* Hello and welcome to tonight's live updates page for the IU men's basketball season opener against Chicago State. The Hoosiers and Cougars are both beginning their 2018-19 seasons tonight.