arts community events

FNECC to screen 'Indian Horse' for Native Film Series

Native American Heritage Month

November is Native American Heritage Month, and The First Nations Educational and Cultural Center will be celebrating all month. 

At 6 p.m. Nov. 14, FNECC will be holding the 12th Annual Native Film Series at the Whittenberger Auditorium. During the series, attendees will see “Indian Horse,' a film about a First Nations hockey player named Saul Indian Horse. He must find a way to deal with issues such as racism and alcoholism. The film includes actors Forrest Goodluck, Ajuawak Kapashesit and Sladen Peltier.

The film, directed by Stephen S. Campanelli, is based on 2012 the novel by Richard Wagamese. Wagamese was an Ojibwe from the Wabaseemoong Independent Nation in Ontario, Canada, who died in March 2017. 

Other books written by Wagamese include “Medicine Walk,” “Keeper’n Me” and “One Native Life.”

The film “Indian Horse” has won five awards and nine nominations from different film festivals. The awards include Best Narrative Feature at the Calgary International Film Festival and Audience Choice at the Edmonton International Film Festival. 

Other events for Native American Heritage month include a luncheon at 12:30 p.m. Nov. 28 in the FNECC, with guest speaker Whirlwind Bull. The FNECC Native Student and Appreciation Dinner will be at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 30 at the same location, and will conclude the celebrations for Native American Heritage Month. 

For more information about events happening this month, check the FNECC website.