crime & courts bloomington

Two Bloomington men jump out of a second-story window to avoid arrest

Two Bloomington men were hospitalized after jumping out of a second-story window Wednesday night at Crawford Apartments while trying to avoid warrant arrests.

Officers arrived at the apartment complex around 11:50 p.m. to make a warrant arrest on the second floor. While outside, officers could see a man in the apartment’s window who matched the description. The man had a history of avoiding arrests by jumping out the window, Sgt. Dana Cole said, so two officers went upstairs while others stayed below the window.

When upstairs, the two officers knocked, and the door was opened by the owner of the apartment. They could not see their initial warrant suspect, but did recognize another man in the room who also had a warrant for his arrest.

Ryan Lady, 26, began talking to officers but was avoiding questions and gave a fake name. Officers explained they were looking for Lady’s friend who frequently visits the apartment, but Lady slammed the door in the officer’s face, police said.

Lady and his friend, Jason Jordan, then both allegedly ran to the back of the apartment and jumped out the window, with officers waiting on the ground. Officers got identification from both men and determined they both had warrants for their arrests too.

Both Jordan and Lady were injured from the fall, and officers took them to IU Health Bloomington Hospital to be treated. Both were released later in the night. Lady had minor fractures to his hip and a cut on his forehead and Jordan had a fractured elbow, Cole said.

After being cleared by the hospital, officers arrested and charged Jordan with two counts of theft and one count of meth possession. Lady was arrested for vehicle theft. The man officers were originally looking to arrest was not in the apartment, police said.