Instant Recap: Iowa defeats IU on homecoming day

Homecoming Game vs. Iowa

* FINAL: Iowa defeats IU 42-16.

IU is now 4-3 overall and 1-3 in conference.

Iowa is now 5-1 overall and 2-1 in conference.

* INTERCEPTION (3:56 left in the 4th quarter) On a 4th and 8 situation, Ramsey lobs the ball into the end zone and the pass is intercepted by Iowa safety Jake Gervase.

Ramsey's second interception of the game. 

Iowa leads 42-16.

* TOUCHDOWN (9:23 left in the 4th quarter) Stanley has his sixth touchdown pass of the game for Iowa.

A four-yard pass to Austin Kelly makes it 42-16 in favor of the Hawkeyes.

Stanley has 307 yards passing and IU's pass defense has allowed 12 passing touchdowns during the last two games. 

* INTERCEPTION (13:22 left in the 4th quarter) IU made it inside the Iowa 10-yard line, but as the Hoosiers were knocking on the door of scoring a touchdown, Ramsey threw his first interception of the game.

Ramsey did not see Iowa defensive back Geno Stone, who deflected and then intercepted the pass in the end zone for a touchback.

Iowa ball at its own 20.

* END of 3rd quarter: Iowa leads IU 35-16.

* TOUCHDOWN (5:55 left in the 3rd quarter) IU scores for the first time in the second half via a 12-yard touchdown run by Peyton Ramsey.

The Hoosiers received a beneficial call right before the touchdown run, as Iowa committed a pass interference penalty on a 3rd and 6 incompletion by IU.

IU tried for a two-point conversion after the touchdown, but it was unsuccessful.

IU trails Iowa 35-16.

* TOUCHDOWN (9:19 left in the 3rd quarter) After a three-and-out by the Hoosiers, Stanley records his fifth touchdown pass of the game for the Hawkeyes.

A 54-yard connection from Stanley to tight end T.J. Hockenson has continued the Iowa offensive onslaught through the air.

Stanley has more than 230 yards passing today.

Iowa leads IU 35-10 as missed tackles and defensive penalties remain the story of the game for IU.

* TOUCHDOWN (12:03 left in the 3rd quarter) Iowa scores a touchdown on the opening possession of the second half.

Stanley has his fourth touchdown pass of the game, this one to running back Toren Young. It was an 11-yard touchdown pass. A seven-play, 63-yard drive ends in a familiar place for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa leads IU 28-10.

* HALFTIME: Iowa leads IU 21-10.

* TOUCHDOWN (10:03 left in 2nd quarter) Iowa uses a lengthy kickoff return to set itself up with great field position before more magic from Stanley gives the Hawkeyes a touchdown.

On the kickoff, Ihmir Smith-Marsette nearly let the ball go into the end zone before picking it up at Iowa's yow-yard line, making four Hoosiers miss and then tearing down the sideline for a 60-yard return.

Then, Stanley evaded what looked like a sure sack by Marcelino Ball and fired a 12-yard touchdown pass to Nick Easley. Iowa now has nearly 150 yards passing.

Iowa leads IU 21-10.

* TOUCHDOWN (12:17 left in 2nd quarter) Hoosiers barely needed any time to take advantage of the takeaway.

On the second play of the subsequent drive, Ramsey finds wide receiver Ty Fryfogle in the end zone for a 33-yard touchdown pass.

The pass was weighted very well by Ramsey, and Fryfogle made a diving catch and controlled the ball as he was tackled to the ground.

IU trails Iowa 14-10.

* INTERCEPTION (12:51 left in 2nd quarter) IU records its first takeaway of the game via an interception by linebacker Thomas Allen.

Allen followed the interception with a 29-yard return to the Iowa 34-yard line.

IU desperately needed something on defense to spark its offense and it just happened.

* END of 1st quarter: Iowa leads IU 14-3.

TOUCHDOWN (1:21 left in 1st quarter) Iowa has scored touchdowns on both of its offensive drives today.

Stanley finishes an 11-play, 70-yard drive with a 28-yard touchdown pass to tight end Noah Fant. 

Iowa converted a 4th and 2 situation in IU territory during the drive.

Iowa leads IU 14-3.

* TOUCHDOWN (7:15 left in 1st quarter) Iowa answers with a touchdown drive to start its day on offense.

Quarterback Nate Stanley connects with tight end T.J. Hockenson for a nine-yard reception in the end zone. Great catch by Hockenson, who leaped over linebacker Dameon Willis Jr. to get the ball and get a foot down in the end zone.

IU challenged the ruling of a touchdown, but it was confirmed by video review. Hoosiers are out of challenges for the rest of the game.

Three penalties called on the IU defense during this Iowa drive.

Iowa leads IU 7-3.

* FIELD GOAL (10:32 left in 1st quarter) IU scores on its opening drive. Logan Justus converts a 29-yard field goal to give IU a 3-0 lead.

The key play of the drive came on a 3rd and 1 in which quarterback Peyton Ramsey and running back Stevie Scott had a miscommunication on a handoff, and the ball was fumbled, only for offensive lineman Delroy Baker Jr. to recover the ball for a first down.

IU's drive lasted 13 plays and covered 64 yards.

Freshman running back Ronnie Walker Jr. entered the game for Scott after the fumble.

* IU will have two important wide receivers back for today's game. Sophomore Whop Philyor and senior Luke Timian have both returned from injury and will play today.

* Welcome to this afternoon's live updates page for IU football's homecoming game against the Iowa Hawkeyes. IU enters this game with a 4-2 overall record and a 1-2 mark in conference games, while Iowa is 4-1 overall and 1-1 mark in conference games.