Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

IU heads to Maridoe Intercollegiate

<p>Then junior, now senior, Jake Brown putts the ball during practice at the IU Golf Course in Jan. 2018.</p>

Then junior, now senior, Jake Brown putts the ball during practice at the IU Golf Course in Jan. 2018.

After a week off, the IU men’s golf team will fly to Carrollton, Texas, to play in the Maridoe Intercollegiate this weekend.

In Texas, the team will have to deal with the different grasses and difficulty of the new Steve Smyers-designed Maridoe Golf Course. Smyers, known for creating difficult golf courses, is also one of the designers and architects of the IU golf course that is under construction.

The kind of grasses at this course are known as warm season grasses and consist of different types of grass like bermuda, buffalo grass and blue gamma. This causes a very bouncy and firm surface that IU Coach Mike Mayer said won’t be a problem for his team.

“It won’t be our first time on bermuda grass, and we've done our due diligence preparing,” Mayer said. “I think we will be ready to make that transition.”

The field at the invitational is headlined by No. 6 Texas A&M, who the Hoosiers met at the Fighting Illini Invitational in September, and No. 5 Tennessee. The rest of the field is southern colleges, like Houston and North Texas, and Boise State.

“It’s a really good field, a solid field, with teams we don’t normally play,” Mayer said.

The Hoosiers will bring the same group as the last competition, minus the individual spot, with a little shuffling around in the order of spots.

Redshirt senior Jake Brown will take the one spot again, after less than stellar performances in his past two invites.

"Jake has not been playing his best golf, but he is still our leader," Mayer said. "I’d like to see him in that one spot.”

Junior Brock Orchsenreiter will take the second spot for the Hoosiers after a top-10 finish two weeks ago in the Windon Memorial. 

Sophomore Ethan Shepherd and freshman Mitch Davis will switch spots for this invite, Shepherd is now at the three spot with Davis taking the four.

Rounding out the team, junior Evan Gaesser will play in the fifth spot.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.