student life

Delta Zeta sorority raises awareness of alcohol problems with mocktail event

Flutes of nonalcoholic champagne rest on a table at the 2017 Mocktail Night at Delta Zeta. The sorority hosts the event to raise awareness about drinking safely. 

Students milled about the room in fancy apparel, with men in suits and women in dresses. They sipped on brightly colored drinks in flutes and cocktail glasses, though the liquids were missing a key ingredient: alcohol.

Delta Zeta organized its annual mock cocktail event Tuesday as part of its "I Have a Choice" week. The aim of the event was to show members alcohol is not needed to for them to enjoy themselves. The event was located at the DZ house, in the courtyard.

Vice president of programming junior Marina Vasquez, said her reason for doing the event is to educate students on the prevalence of alcohol in people’s lives.

“In some point of our lives, drugs or alcohol will affect most of us in any type of way,” Vasquez said. “It’s important to keep each other safe and know the actual effects of using alcohol.”

Vasquez said the event is open to all members.

“It’s especially good for our younger members too, because they're not 21, so they still get to hang out,” Vasquez said. 

Junior Sophia Beneski, DZ public relations chair, said other greek organizations are invited to participate every year.

“It changes year to year, just depending on the social climate of each year,” Beneski said.

Sophomore member Faith Hagerty said she feels more comfortable abstaining from drinking because of the mocktail event.

An incident in Hagerty’s life also affected her willingness to drink. A group of Illinois State University students died in her hometown of Bloomington, Illinois after being hit in a parked car by a drunk driver.

“That really affected my hometown, so ever since that, it’s felt more personal” Hagerty said.

Beneski said she enjoys the event because the sorority is able to show itself off while also educating members of the community about the dangers of alcohol.

“I think it’s a really positive event and especially inviting other fraternity members, that not only raises awareness in our house but through the greek community,” Beneski said.