student life

Theta Phi Alpha organizes its third fundraiser for Heaven After Hell Rescue

Puppies&Pumpkins_Spirit_Tiplick_.JPG

Spirit, a lively puppy, rolled around in his newspaper-covered pen. Other puppies, Bebop and Duke, ran circles around participants as they pet the dogs lounging in the sun. 

Spirit, Duke and Bebop were all part of Theta Phi Alpha's annual Pumpkins and Puppies event, organized on Sept. 30. The funds go to Heaven After Hell Rescue. As of Sept. 30., Theta Phi raised about $4,200. 

The Indianapolis-based organization takes animals from mills and high-kill shelters, gives them medical treatment and works toward getting the animals adopted. 

The event started three years ago, after Theta Phi senior Samantha Burdine adopted her black labrador, Jake, from the organization.

Burdine said she can’t take credit for starting the event, but her past with the shelter and her mom’s work as a veterinary technician helped form the connection. 

Burdine said many philanthropic events use dogs, but few events use and benefit the dogs. 

“It doesn’t really seem like animals are the recipients of a lot of the money,” Burdine said. 

The Pumpkins and Puppies event had pumpkin painting, puppies to play with and food.

Puppies&Pumpkin_pumpkins_Tiplick_.JPG
Ella Gilpatrick, left, and Carlotta Bührmann, right, decorate pumpkins for the Puppies and Pumpkins philanthropy put on by Theta Phi Alpha. The event was from 2-5 p.m. Sunday.  Anna Tiplick

“It all goes towards making sure that abused animals or animals seized from puppy mills, that sort of thing, can have a good life,” said senior Gillian Fulford, Theta Phi Alpha external liaison. 

Even if participants are unable to adopt a dog, Fulford said people still enjoy being able to play with them.

Miranda Payne, Heaven After Hell Rescue founder, said about 250 animals are adopted per year.

Kaitlin Edquist, Theta Phi philanthropy chair, said the event also allows the puppies to get more human interaction, so they can be more comfortable with people. 

“All of those puppies are adoptable, and it just gives them a chance to socialize with people and obviously gives us a chance to play with them,” Edquist said. 

One of the main costs of running a rescue is the medical bills. Theta Phi helped Heaven After Hell Rescue pay off their medical debt in 2017. Any current and future medical bills will be paid with funds raised, Edquist said. 

Fulford said the event can provide stress relief for the students, as local and national life becomes crazier. Spirit, Bebop and Duke are rescue animals up for adoption, and Duke is in the middle of the adoption process.