sports golf

IU women’s golf set to play in Mary Fossum Invitational

Then-sophomore, now-senior Erin Harper putts during the first round of the IU Invitational on April 8, 2017, at the IU Golf Course. Harper finished the 2018 Mary Fossum Invitational tied for sixth place. 

In its second tournament of the season, the IU women's golf team will look to make improvements against a 16-team field.

The Hoosiers will take part in the 35th annual Mary Fossum Invitational this weekend in East Lansing, Michigan. 

The invitational will kick off Saturday morning and conclude Sunday afternoon in a two-day, two-round affair. This competition includes schools such as Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Miami, and Michigan State, all of which are ranked in the top 50 nationally.

Last week, the Hoosiers placed 15th out of 19 teams in the Cougar Classic in South Carolina.

Florida, which is looking to take home its second trophy in as many weeks, played phenomenally in the Cougar Classic and edged out Vanderbilt for the win. Meanwhile, Michigan State will look to defend its home course.

The No. 10-ranked Spartans have only lost this tournament five times in the last 13 years.

IU will look to build from its second round performance last weekend at the Cougar Classic. The Hoosiers improved by 11 strokes from their first to second rounds of play.

IU also stacks up favorably compared to about half of the field in East Lansing, as IU is ranked higher than eight of the other 16 teams in the invitational.