sports golf

Harper carries Hoosiers to eighth overall in Mary Fossum Invitational

Then-sophomore, now-senior Erin Harper putts during the first round of the IU Invitational on April 8, 2017, at the IU Golf Course. Harper finished the 2018 Mary Fossum Invitational tied for sixth place. 

The Hoosiers concluded the Mary Fossum Invitational in eighth place out of 16 teams with senior Erin Harper leading the way in East Lansing, Michigan. 

It was another competitive field for IU, but the team showed flashes of being able to hang with some of the best teams in the country. Sophomore Angela Aung finished the first round just one stroke behind Harper, who shot a 70. Aung, tied for 24th, and Harper, tied for sixth, both claimed top-25 individual finishes. 

This was a familiar position for Harper, who now has 18 top-25 finishes in her collegiate golf career. For Aung, it was her best individual finish of her young career.

Last weekend, the Hoosiers started off slow and finished the Cougar Classic with an 11-stroke improvement. 

This weekend, it was quite the opposite. 

After one round of golf, the Hoosiers found themselves sitting in a three-way tie in second place with a team score of 289. It was all downhill from there. The Hoosiers slid to the seventh spot after posting a 301 in the second round and rounded out the invitational with a 302 in eighth place.

Up next, the Hoosiers will send four golfers to compete individually in the Cardinal Classic at Ball State. The tournament will be a 16-team field with teams mostly from the MAC and the Missouri Valley Conference. 

For IU, it will be a nice break from the national contenders they have been facing the past two weekends. 

The Cardinal Classic will kick off at the Players Club Monday Morning in Yorktown, Indiana, and will conclude Tuesday afternoon.