politics national

Donald Trump picks Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court

Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh arrives at the U.S. Capitol on July 10, 2018, in Washington, D.C. President Donald Trump nominated Kavanaugh to succeed retiring Supreme Court Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy.  

President Donald Trump picked Brett Kavanaugh as his nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court late Monday night.

Trump called this duty one of the most "profound responsibilities" of the president and the "crown jewel" of the entire nation at a press conference in Washington D.C. He said was proud to pick Kavanaugh, a man he described as a "judge's judge" and the best person to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy.

"There is no one in America more qualified for this position and no one more deserving," Trump said.

Kavanaugh has been a judge in the United States Court of Appeals in Washington D.C. for about 12 years. He is a Catholic, and if confirmed by the Senate, he will be the fifth Catholic on the current Supreme Court. 

He went to Mater Dei, a Catholic elementary school in Maryland, and like Justice Neil Gorsuch, is a graduate of Georgetown Preparatory School. 

Kavanaugh graduated from Yale College and Yale Law School and has taught a course at Harvard. Currently, he is only 53 years old, which means he could be on the Supreme Court for decades to come. 

While nominating him, Trump was also quick to call out lawmakers to "swiftly and robustly" confirm Kavanaugh to the Court. However, after the refusal on the part of Republicans to have hearings for Merrick Garland in 2016, it remains to be seen how contentious Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings will be.

Listen to the latest episode of the Bloomington Buzz podcast, where we talk about Kavanaugh and some of the others who were up for the spot on the Supreme Court.

This story will be updated.