crime & courts bloomington

Bloomington Blotter: Knives and sexually explicit notes

Knife pulled, tire slashed

Police were called to the scene of a fight involving a knife and bat early Sunday morning.

The fight started after a 29-year-old woman and 39-year-old man drove to the hospital to pick up the suspect, 32-year-old Dustin Rhodes.

Police said Rhodes told the two shortly after entering the car they were in that someone had put a hit on him for $500. The woman driving stopped the car and told him to get out.

The woman later told police Rhodes refused to get out and began threatening to stab the other man in the car.

The other man grabbed a baseball bat from the backseat of the car and threatened to bust Rhodes’ face in with it. Rhodes told him to put the bat down and "square up," according to Sgt. Dana Cole.

Rhodes then got out of the car and stabbed the back driver-side tire with a knife.

He later told police he did not have a knife.

Officers found a dark gray, 6-inch Kershaw knife in the street near where the altercation took place.

Rhodes faces charges of criminal mischief and intimidation. The other two people in the car are not currently facing any charges.

Woman at library handed sexually explicit note

An unknown man handed a 19-year-old woman a sexually explicit note at the Monroe County Public Library on Sunday.

The woman told police the man was middle aged, skinny and white. She said he is about 6 feet tall with short, curly gray hair. He was wearing a denim jacket, jeans and brown boots at the time of the incident.

He handed her the note and told her it was for her. His phone number was written on the bottom.

The note made sexual references to her breasts and vagina.

She gave the note to library security and told police she wants the man found so she can file for a restraining order.

The woman also said she has reason to believe the man was of lower mental capacity and possibly homeless.

The Bloomington Police Department reached out to library security but had not heard back from them as of Monday morning.