Congress passes, president signs short term spending bill to end government shutdown

<p>United States Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) makes remarks to the media following the weekly U.S. Senate Republican Party luncheon on November 28, 2017, in the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.&nbsp;</p>

United States Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) makes remarks to the media following the weekly U.S. Senate Republican Party luncheon on November 28, 2017, in the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. 

The U.S. Senate voted 81–18 Monday to approve a short-term spending bill which would re-open the government and keep it running through Feb. 8, and soon after the House followed suit, voting 266–150 to pass the continuing resolution.

The president signed the bill Monday night, according to the Associated Press, citing a White House official.

The stop-gap spending bill would end a shutdown which began late Friday night and has continued through the weekend. Senators came to a consensus after assurances from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, that Republicans would hear debate on the fate of recipients originally covered under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy

A bill, which was intended to continue funding the government, failed to clear the 60-vote threshold needed to proceed with possible legislation on Friday. Both of Indiana's senators voted in favor of the two different bills. 

Jesse Naranjo 

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.