Thursday rundown: Sales in Bloomington, Therapy Dogs, IUMS in the College Cup and the Director's Symposium

morning rundown site.jpg

Local businesses offer sales to combat customers heading home for the holidays

ciholidaybiz.jpg
The square in downtown Bloomington is lit up with lights for the holiday season. The lights are hung from the top of the capital building onto the tops of the stores surrounding the square.  Mallory Smith

The holiday season is a businessman’s dream – unless that businessman’s customer base suddenly disappears. Local shops are hunkering down against the cold this week, preparing for the mass exodus of IU students during finals and the subsequent decrease in sales. Read more here.

VIDEO: Therapy dogs help students destress before finals

Dogs Clover and Rosie help students relax. Peer Health, a program of IU Heath Center, brought therapy dogs to Willkie Quad Wednesday evening to help stressed students relax before finals.
Dogs Clover and Rosie help students relax. Peer Health, a program of IU Heath Center, brought therapy dogs to Willkie Quad Wednesday evening to help stressed students relax before finals. Peter Talbot

Peer Health, a program of IU Health Center, brought therapy dogs to Willkie Quad Wednesday evening to help stressed students relax before finals. Read more here.

Men’s soccer hopes non-conference schedule pays off in the College Cup

IU celebrates after defeating Michigan State on PKs, 3-2, following a 1-1 draw Oct. 29, 2017 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Assistant coach Brian Maisonneuve will now be the head coach for Ohio State after being with IU for nine years. 
IU celebrates after defeating Michigan State on PKs, 3-2, following a 1-1 draw Oct. 29, 2017 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Assistant coach Brian Maisonneuve will now be the head coach for Ohio State after being with IU for nine years.  Bobby Goddin

The IU men’s soccer team is heading to Philadelphia for the College Cup, where it will play an ACC opponent in North Carolina, a team that presents a style the Hoosiers have yet to see this season. Read more here.

Eighteenth Director’s Symposium offers theater and music

The Monroe County Civic Theater’s Director’s Symposium & Variety Show will be presented on Dec. 10 at the Player’s Pub. For it’s 18th iteration, the free show offers a dozen acts, featuring three theatrical productions and a variety of musical acts.
The Monroe County Civic Theater’s Director’s Symposium & Variety Show will be presented on Dec. 10 at the Player’s Pub. For it’s 18th iteration, the free show offers a dozen acts, featuring three theatrical productions and a variety of musical acts. Courtesy Photo

From holiday-themed musicals to plays covering domestic violence, the Monroe County Civic Theater’s Director’s Symposium & Variety Show strives to bring the community together, said Steve Heise, director of Monroe County Civic Theater.

The Director’s Symposium & Variety Show will be presented Dec. 10 at the Players Pub. For its 18th iteration, the free show offers a dozen acts featuring three theatrical productions and a variety of musical acts. A silent auction happen at intermission, and all proceeds will go to the benefit of The Rise! at the Middle Way House. Read more here.